Part - Time Youth Counselor
- Position Summary
This is specialized work concerned with the temporary staff secure care of delinquent and/or dependent youth. An employee in this class supervises a group of delinquent and/or dependent youth in work, recreational, or educational activities. Duties are varied and include individual and group processing, maintaining constructive discipline, and providing intervention and redirection. Work is performed under the supervision of a shift supervisor and is reviewed for conformance to accepted departmental and institutional policies and procedures through evaluation of performance results.Must be 21 or older to apply
PLEASE NOTE - This position can be 2ND SHIFT, 3RD SHIFT, and/or WEEKENDS
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to work and communicate with youth.
- Actively supervises youth in work, recreational and educational activities and participates in their instruction and ensures proper conduct of Youth during work, recreational, and educational assignments.
- Gives basic instruction in work, recreation, and housekeeping activities.
- Ability to engage in work activities and recreational programs.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the individual service plan in accordance with DPW regulations and agency policy and procedure.
- Ability to observe, understand and report behavioral problems of youth and administer or recommend corrective actions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with youth, staff workers, and general public in a professional manner.
- Prepare detailed documentation.
- Supervises delinquent and dependent youth.
- Stimulates interest and cooperation in individual and group activities and observes youth behavior to prevent disturbances and maintains safety and security at all times.
- Participates in immediate intervention, redirection, and counseling to youth.
- Participates in the physical restraint and management of hostile and aggressive youth.
- Administers or recommends disciplinary measures in situations requiring immediate action; reports serious problems for investigation and corrective action.Must report all serious problems for investigation to the appropriate authorities.
- Make recommendations to the facility case manager.
- Performs initial intake assessment including medical health screening at the direction of the facility medical staff.
- Must report any arrests, convictions, or infractions of the law to the facility Director.
Other reasonable duties as assigned by Supervisor, Assistant Director and/or Director.
- Essential Requirements
- A minimum of a High School Diploma with an associate's degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Must have child abuse and criminal history clearances in accordance with 23 P.A.C.S. §§ 6301-6385 and Chapter 3490.
- Must be physically able to provide Safe Crisis Management (SCM) techniques.
- Must possess the ability and willingness to handle difficult situations that may require physical intervention/control of youths who are violent and aggressive.
- Ability to manage hostile, aggressive youths by performing Safe Crisis Management techniques and protocol.
- Must have an understanding of accepted principles and practices of adolescent development and the ability to apply such techniques and theories in practice.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, public or private agencies personnel, and the general public, and must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must pass a physical health examination prior to employment and every 2 years thereafter
- Some knowledge of casework process and group work principles and methods especially as related to services to delinquent and dependent youth.
- Must possess a valid Driver's License.
- Must pass CPR / First Aid & AED certification.
- Must be able to effectively read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Must be 21 years of age or older