Please Apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/dauphincounty
Dauphin County Prison is currently accepting applications for the full-time position of Correctional Officer. This is entry-level work involving formal and informal academic and on-the-job training in ensuring the security and safety of Prison staff, inmates (sentenced and non-sentenced), visitors, premises, and property.
Under the supervision of senior personnel, an employee in this position directs inmate activity in cell blocks, housing units, work areas, and dining and recreation areas; observes inmates from posted watch stations, and in corridors and visiting areas, ensuring security and adherence to Prison rules; and provides advice and informal guidance to inmates. Work may vary from shift to shift and station to station. He/she is responsible for performing the following job duties:
- Inspects inmate living areas for cleanliness, contraband, or stolen goods and escape implements or plans
- Observes inmate behavior, paying particular attention to signs of duress or intention to escape, or indications that inmate may harm him/herself
- Quells disturbances (according to established procedures), and reports inmates involved to designated authority
- Assesses, and reports, according to established directions, extra-ordinary events and disturbances
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
Graduation from high school or an accredited equivalency program. The qualified candidate must be at least 21 years of age by the date of hire. Following hire, successful completion and maintenance of accreditation/certification in First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, use of automatic external defibrillator (AED), and satisfactory completion of Basic Training at the PA Department of Corrections Academy or its equivalent is required.
A favorable criminal background check is required.
It is expected that all applicants for this position will achieve and maintain certification in the use, handling, and care of weapons and gas equipment for continued appointment.
An excellent Dauphin County (County) paid benefit package is available to all full-time employees the month following 60 days of employment. The County pays 100% of the premium for the following:
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Term Life Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Prescription Insurance
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Personal Leave
- Military Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Nine Paid Holidays Per Year
- Pension Plan
- Deferred Compensation Plan