Chief Public Defender
JOB SUMMARY: Represents the interests of adult offenders, juvenile offenders and others who meet the eligibility to engage a Public Defender in the court system. Manages, directs, and supervises department operations and staff of the Adams County Public Defender’s office.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Evaluates potential clients for eligibility for representation by Public Defender’s Office.
2. Ensures eligible individuals are represented effectively in court proceedings and other matters as required by the Pennsylvania Public Defender Act, 16 P.S. sec. 9960.l et seq.
3. Provides information and advice to clients.
4. Writes legal briefs and motions as needed for pre-trial, trial, and appellate practice.
5. Supervises, coaches, trains, teaches, directs, and evaluates the staff of the Public Defender’s Office.
6. Prepares annual budget for the department.
7. Develops and administers office policy and procedure.
8. Responds to requests for service and information from various members of Adams County government and the general public.
9. Performs other duties as directed by the Board of Commissioners.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION:
1. Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited college or university and five (5) years of experience prosecuting criminal cases or in criminal defense work in a court of law.
2. Compliance with annual CLE requirements.
* Cover Letter, including salary requirements
Applications will NOT be considered with out all required documentation submitted.
We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, prescription, life insurance, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and a retirement plan.